How do I enable the latest Java version on my Windows system?
This article applies to:
- Platform(s): Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP
- Java version(s): 6.0, 7.0
It is possible that even if you have installed the latest version of Java, your browser may not be able to use it because it is not enabled. This could happen when you install other applications that also install Java and the vendors do not want to change your browser settings. However, it is always a good idea to use the latest version of Java to ensure you have the latest security fixes and enhancements.
If your browser is not using the latest version you have installed, you will need to enable the latest version of Java in the Java Control Panel.
Find the Java Control Panel
» Mac OS X
Enable the latest installed version of Java in the Java Control Panel
- In the Java Control Panel, click on the Java tab.
- Click View to display the Java Runtime Environment Settings
- Verify that the latest Java Runtime version is enabled by checking the Enabled box.
- Click OK to save settings
- Click OK in Java Control Panel window to confirm changes and close the window.
- Try to run same applet and verify it is now running using latest version of Java installed in your system.