How do I download and install Java online for Firefox on Windows?
This article applies to:
Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, Windows 2008 Server
- Java version(s):
The procedure to install Java broadly consists of:
» Windows System Requirements
- Download and Install
- Test Installation
Note: Installing Java requires that you can gain administrator access to Windows on your computer.
Download and Install
It is recommended, before you proceed with online installation you may want to disable your Internet firewall. In some cases the default firewall settings are set to reject all automatic or online installations such as the Java online installation. If the firewall is not configured appropriately it may stall the download/install operation of Java under certain conditions. Refer to your specific Internet firewall manual for instructions on how to disable your Internet Firewall.
- Go to Java.com and click on the Free Java Download button
- On the Firefox download page click on the Agree and Start Free Download button
- The File Download dialog box appears, click on the Save File button
- Double click on the downloaded file in the Download Manager window or where you normally save download files.
Note: Depending on your security settings, you may be presented with dialogs asking for permission to continue. Confirm you want to proceed with the installation.
- The installation process starts. Click the Install button to accept the license terms and to continue with the installation.
Oracle has partnered with companies that offer various products. The installer may present you with option to install these programs when you install Java. After ensuring that the desired programs are selected, click the Next button to continue the installation.
- A few brief dialogs confirm the last steps of the installation process; click Close on the last dialog. This will complete Java installation process.
NOTE: You may need to restart (close and re-open) your browser to enable the Java installation in your browser.
To test that Java is installed and working properly on your computer, run this test applet.